Saturday, January 28, 2012

{37 Weeks, 2 days}

We thought today was going to be THE day.

The bags were packed, the house cleaned, plans made, and we were READY!

I couldn't fall "asleep" until midnight even knowing that I had to get up and call Triage at 6am.

I woke up about 10 times last night to check the clock, I just knew that the alarm would forget to go off at 5:45. AND IT DID. Luckily my bladder woke me up at 6:03. I frantically sprung out of bed and shuffled around in the dark for the information my doctor had given me. I shook Andrew and told him to go get in the shower NOW and called Triage.

As soon as the nurse answered I could tell that she was not going to have good news for me. She said that there were a few women about to give birth and that some rooms would surely be free if I called back at 9am. 9AM?! It sounded like an eternity. Dear ol' Andrew had already fallen back asleep, so I shook him again and told him them news. I tried to fall back asleep again, but could only lay there and pretend until 7:30.

We tried to act like we were not going crazy with anticipation, but the tension was thick. My back ached, my skin ITCHED like nuts, my head was pounding...I HAD to give birth today! How could I go another day?! I was going to burst at the seams with babies!

Finally it was 9AM...actually it was 8:58AM, but Andrew and I decided that was close enough & we called again. Same nurse. Same response. But this time she said she would call me back "later this morning" (ugh. I guess calling 2 minutes early was not cool) She was sure that I would get in by the afternoon. Some more women were "just about to pop out their babies."

So we waited. We constructed an elaborate train track system in Judah's room. We watched the clock. It was almost noon. They're killing me! Later "this morning!" My mind was racing. Maybe they forgot me. Should I call my doctor and see what she's up to? Maybe she could just come on over to our place and get this show on the road.

And then my phone rang at 11:47AM. The voice on the other end of the line sounded semi-terrified to be calling such a severely pregnant woman with what was no doubt BAD news.

"Hi there, Sarah. I ugh, just talked to your doctor and SHE said that SHE thinks we should go ahead and wait until Wednesday when she is on call next. You know, we are just really busy and we are very sorry, but we just do not have the staff or the rooms available today. But, she said go ahead and call her if you start getting any contractions and come and see her on Monday at the clinic."

I nodded my head and tried not to cry hysterically about how I REALLY had to have these babies today or I would just DIE...and how I was sure there HAD to be some extra room SOMEWHERE at the hospital, really I am not too picky at this point. And did my doctor say what she was doing this afternoon? Did some fun plans come up that she couldn't miss? Was she having a bad hair day? Whatever it was, I was sure we could figure it out and get me in today sometime!!!

But, I just said OK like a polite pregnant lady should and after I hung up proceeded to cry like a crazy woman.

My poor husband.

So, here I am. It's 6:30 at night. I should be holding two squirmy, fresh new born babies right now. I should be able to see my toes again. But, instead I am whining about my STILL pregnant state for all the world to hear, and once again counting down the days until I get to see these babies.

THE END.

No comments:

Post a Comment