Wednesday, October 23, 2013

{Choosing Joy}

I've been in a funk the past week, just feeling generally overwhelmed and grumpy and sorry for myself.

It's a kind of slow fade for me-one day I am pushing through the exhaustion and the next I give in just once to feeling "sorry" for myself and it is all down hill from there.

Day by day I let go of the sweet, simple joys that have kept me going and instead choose to let the negatives define my mood. And eventually I find myself here, feeling like staying in my pajamas all day and not getting out in the big, beautiful world where it's hard.

Being joyful, it's a choice. A choice that needs to be made new every day. 

Choosing the good thing usually means choosing the hard thing, the thing that goes against our very own selfish inner drive. 

Choosing joy usually means choosing others before me.

Choosing joy means giving of yourself when you feel like you have nothing left to give.

It means starting over again and giving yourself grace- new every day.

It is always a choice.

I forget that so often, that despite what is happening around me, I get to choose my response and my attitude.

My husband is such a strength for me in this- he wakes up every day choosing joy and choosing to see today as the gift that it is. He is so paitent with me in my wavering joy, helping me every year gain perspective on what it is we are doing here in this crazy, beautiful life.

Today, I choose joy and by grace I will again tomorrow.

It's a choice that will over time define my life story & inspire my children to do the same. 

{Our beautiful family photos were taken by the very talented Jessica of More Than Just Pictures}

No comments:

Post a Comment